Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Silly seal

I am working on spraying weeds in the middle pasture now.  While the spraying is going faster than other years due to less weeds, it has not gone as fast as the north pasture spraying went.

I haven't figured out why but it seems as if some years some weeds more than others are affected by the herbicide.  Last year the the spotted knapweed and yarrow in the north pasture really took a big hit from the spraying.  The Canadian Thistle didn't seem as affected while the previous year the thistle took a big hit.  The snowberry (which is mainly in the middle pasture) went both ways: some patches were almost wiped out , most other patches were knocked back but still going strong.  Next year I'll see how this years spraying affected the weeds.

I bought a new bottle of the R-11 spreader / activator I add to the herbicide to make it stick to the weeds better.  The strange thing is that the bottle is "sealed for my protection".  I thought usually a bottle is sealed to prevent some idiot from slipping poison into the bottle.   The R-11 is poison already.  How can it be 'sealed for my protection'?


No comments: