Monday, August 27, 2012

Baby calf: day 2

At 10:30 am Sunday, when I was preparing to leave to put up the signs for Tammy's antique flea market event, the cattle were taking their siesta at the middle west side of the hayfield. I scanned the herd with my binoculars and found momma but no baby.  No baby anywhere. 

Tammy left for her antique flea market event and I walked out for a look in case baby was hidden behind momma.  I walked around the herd and there was no sign of baby.  Momma was laying next to other cattle and seemed unconcerned about her missing baby.


Where is baby? 


I walked around the herd and looked out in the grass.  No signs of baby.   Did baby die?  Did one of the coyotes get baby?



Around and around I walked.  Finally I found baby all curled up in the grass away from the herd.




It was alive and awake but unresponsive.  I poked its leg and got no response.

This doesn't look good.  Is baby on death's door?  Did mom abandon it?

I called Dan for advice.  He thought baby may be just tuckered out.  Calves are like little kids - they play hard and then crash hard only to get up and play hard again.  Dan reminded me that the calf was barely a day old.  He suggested I put my finger in the calf's mouth to see it is is warm.  And to look at her belly button to see if it looks good or has signs of infection.

I lifted baby's hind leg.  I was looking for a belly button but I found two protrusions.


Well... it looks like baby is a boy.  Is the other protrusion his... belly button?

I put my finger in baby's mouth and it felt warm and wet.

Baby let me move his leg without any resistance.  He had no problem with me putting my finger in his mouth.  He struggled to open his eyes to look at me.  His fur was super soft.

He seemed fine - but exhausted.  I decided to let him be and got up to leave.  All of a sudden - to my surprise - he got up to his feet - if a bit wobbly.  He wobbled toward me.   He's a scrawny little thing with a big head.


I decided to lead him to his momma.  All of a sudden he got a burst of energy and stopped following me and ran off to one side.  I walked towards him but he wouldn't come to me.  All of a sudden momma came briskly walking our way and seemed to be very concerned.  I backed off and let them be together


Here is a 1:08 video of baby and momma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-Ixo9DUgE&feature=youtu.be


Dan suggested I spray some gentle iodine on her belly button to guard against an infection.  After I put up the signs for Tammy's antique flea market event I stopped at the feed store and bought a bottle.  When I got home the herd was near the water trough.  Momma was a short distance from the herd and facing out into the hayfield.  From the yard I tried looking for baby.  I even stood on the fence but could not see him.  I had other things to do and decided to to bother momma and baby right now.  Momma seemed to be keeping an eye on him.


In the evening after Tammy and I returned from her antique flea market event we went out on the hayfield to spray the iodine.   The herd, momma and baby were at the far end of the hayfield with momma and baby off to one side. Baby was walking around then would stop and seemed to be nursing.  As Tammy and I started to get closer momma started to walk with baby following.    When momma stopped baby went back to nursing.  Momma was heading towards the herd and safety.  The herd walked over to momma and baby.  Baby ran towards the herd then back to momma.  Momma started to move away with baby and the herd followed.  Baby seemed to be full of energy and would run around when not nursing.  He was so cute.

Since he was so rambunctious and momma leery about Tammy and I getting close, I decide to not try to spray his belly button.  I may wait until later.

No comments: