Saturday, August 25, 2012

I'm an "uncle"

I got a big shock early this evening when I found a newborn calf in my hayfield.  One of my heifers gave birth today.  I had no idea that she was pregnant.  She looked too small and young to be pregnant.  I guess not.

This morning, after I returned from setting up the signs for Tammy's flea market ("Treasure market"), I looked at the cattle in the hayfield. I was checking to see if the jailbreaker heifer gave up on making another jailbreak.  She was behaving.   However I noticed another one of my heifers out in the pasture while the rest of the herd was by the water trough and the house.

The heifer looked to be eating grass in the middle of the pasture and behaving.  Some of my cattle watched her and then walked out to her.   In the meantime she walked to the SW corner and the shade of the trees.   The whole herd interrupted their siesta to walk out to where the heifer had been.  The milled around where the lone heifer had been.  Odd, but I went on to other projects.  Later I noticed the whole herd together in the shade of the SW trees.

In the evening I noticed the herd had taken their siesta by the road on the east side of the pasture..  The lone heifer was on the west side of the pasture.  Strange.  I made a comment about her behavior to Tammy.  I wondered if she was in heat as in the past some heifers "crazy in heat" would go off and do their own thing.

I filled a tank of herbicide and on my way to the pasture I walked near the heifer who was eating.   She looked fine - but looked a little thinner.

"Are you ok?  You look a little thinner?"

She turned and started to walk my way.   I had to apples to feed her so since  I thought she was fine I turned to continue walking to the pasture.  I took a couple of steps then saw a small black shape curled in the grass.  My first thought was that it was a fawn but then I realized it was black.  It is a calf!  My heifer gave birth!  When I saw her in the morning she had already given birth.

Now what?!

I went back to the house and told excitedly Tammy I was a 'dad'.  She corrected me that I couldn't be the dad.  "Ok, then, I'm an uncle." 

".. Ya.  A monkey's uncle."

I called several of my cattle friends and got answering machines.  I asked Tammy if she knew what I should do.

"I'm not a doctor."

"But you use to work in the medical field.":

:But these are cattle.  I don't about cattle."

"You've had kids.  You know more about the birthing process than me.  I've never been anywhere near births before."

Tammy had no advice for me.

While waiting for my friends t call back we watched the cow and calf through binoculars.  A few times the calf got up and walked a little bit before laying back down.  Mom remained nearby.  The herd came.  Then many of them moved on with a few cattle staying behind to keep mom and calf company.

My cattle friends called back.  In a nutshell it was important for the calf to drink her mother's milk to get colostrum.  Colostrum intake is critical for a newborn calf, as its immune system is not fully developed when born.  (For more, follow this link.)

How is the mother?  Fine.

Was the mother near the calf?   Yes.

How is the calf?  Is it standing?   Yes, a little bit.

Have you seen the calf feed from its mother?  No, but I haven't seen much.

Otherwise, there wasn't much I could or should do.

I went out to spray my mixed herbicide.  I walked int he direction of the cow and calf.  As I got closer she moved away from the calf.  I changed directions and headed a round about way into the pasture.  The cow and calf walked towards one another.  Mom briefly licked and nuzzled the calf and the calf laid down.

They seemed fine.

I watched them as I sprayed weeds. The herd came and went.  A few other cattle hung around for a while then left.  The calf walked around mom as she patiently stood still.  I couldn't tell if she briefly suckled mom or not.  The cow remained near her calf even though the herd wandered off.  A good sign.   As I returned home the cow and calf were slowly making their way to rejoin the herd.  The calf was showing more energy and sometimes would take three or four steps in a run then stop.  Mom patiently would stop until the calf caught up to her.

Things are off to a good start.

Now what to do with the cattle?  I had been debating whether to sell them in a few week like I normally do.  Or wait until later in the year or till next year.  Due to the drought in the east and middle section of the U.S. cattle prices are down.  I don't see how I can sell the cow and calf in a matter of two weeks.




No comments: