Friday, August 03, 2012

Corral Well

Kyle finally found time to come over and test my well by the corral.  I've been waiting a year for him to find a used pump for me.  He got one.  The motor is good but the cast iron housing is cracked as it had froze.  I may be able to find a welding shop that can braze the crack, else I will have to buy a new housing.



Kyle hooked a hose to my pipe and with a tool he had tried to draw water up the pipe to test if the pipe is good.  He couldn't draw water.  And there was no leak of air or loss of suction.  It appears the pipe either rusted shut or sand is blocking the pipe.

Darn.

The inside diameter of the concrete casing is 26 1/2 inches wide.  There is barely room for a non-fat person to squat down. 


I used a garden tool to dig dirt from around the pipe.  A layer of rust was around the pipe under the dirt.  After getting one pail of dirt out I decided to try to use a post hole digger to dig more dirt.  I'll give that a try on Friday.

The bottom of the concrete casing is perhaps three to four feet below ground level.  I think water can be reached at 8 1/2 to 9 feet below ground level.   Maybe if I can dig some more dirt from around the pipe I can winch it loose from the ground.

No comments: