Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bathroom shower - bench

I got the shower bench rebuilt for the bathroom shower.

Before...

After...




I made the rebuilt shower bench larger than what my uncles had built.   They had anchored the bench corners to the studs.  The meant two sides were 16 inches and the long side was about 24 inches.   As you can see I added some boards so I could go beyond the studs.  My long side is almost 30 inches.  Six inches may not sound like much but it made a big difference.  I feel like I now I can sit on the bench without having to sit ramrod straight.

My contractor, Kevin, said as a rule of thumb they build benches 18 inches tall as that is the standard height of kitchen chairs and are what people are used to.  I have a wooden chair that is between 16 and 17 inches depending on the front or back. I am comfortable with the 17 inch side.  So I built the bench at a little over 19 1/2 inches.  Add in a half inch for the concrete board layer on top minus the 2 1/2 inches for the concrete floor and the bench will be between 17 1/2 and 18 inches.

Kevin stopped by as he is working just down the road and gave his approval to the bench.  Now I need to follow his directions on how to install the shower drain so I'll be ready once he finishes his other jobs.

No comments: