Saturday, August 04, 2012

North pasture weed spraying

It's that time of the year again.  Actually it's past time to be spraying but as usual I don't move it up the priority list until I see the weeds flowering and starting to form seeds.

Complicating spraying this year is my sore chest from the horse kicking me.  It is hard to carry a large backpack sprayer when one's chest hurts.  My solution was to add a belt to the sprayer.  Just as a good hiking backpack has a hip belt so the weight resides on one's hips, that is what this backpack sprayer needed and lacked.  The belt works so well I will keep it even after my chest heals.

Another great help to me this year is all the work I did spraying last year.  Last year the knapweed and yarrow were really bad in the north pasture and I spent many hours each day for two to three weeks spraying these weeds.  The first photo is how the weeds looked last year. As you can see in the second photo most of the weeds are gone.  What took me two to three weeks to spray last year took me only two days this year (which due to my injury were not full days).  I finished spraying the north pasture Friday night.  After a couple of days I can then let the horses into the north pasture.


No comments: