Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bathroom shower.... progress?

Before...


and after....


Is this progress?


I haven't forgotten about my bathroom shower.  With my chest injury it doesn't appear I will be mixing and pouring concrete for the shower pan anytime soon.  So I looked for a shower / tile contractor.  Joyce's son who does remodeling jobs recommended Kevin to me.  Kevin is working on a job down the road and stopped by to look over my framed in shower.

I plan to have Kevin do the shower pan for me and possibly all the tiling.  First I have to change things.

The wood shower threshold had to go.  Too much of a chance of water getting to the wood via the nails used to fasten the pan liner to the threshold.  Kevin said he recently worked on a shower that was a year and a half old.  He said when he used a crowbar to remove the wood threshold water ran from the wood.  He said he builds a concrete threshold in his work.

I had to take the lower concrete boards off.  Think of a roof.  Each lower shingle goes under the shingle above.  The bottom concrete boards need to go over the concrete shower pan instead of behind it.

To take the concrete boards off I had to remove the bench.  The bench also was another area of potential problems.  Each side of the bench had a gap to the wall's concrete board.  A potential area of water leakage.  Since I had to remove the bench to remove the concrete boards Kevin recommended I build and attach the new bench to the wall.

I ended up returning the bags of concrete mix to Lowe's.  Kevin uses and recommends a different type of concrete mix.  He said that mix is not a rough as the mix I got and is easier to slope to the drain.

 Kevin has a few jobs ahead of mine and may not get to my bathroom for a month.  In the meantime I can do some prep work on it.  As you can see I removed stuff.  Now to build a new bench.

No comments: