Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Clothesline fix

Now that Google seems to have fixed their photo linking problems, after fixing their post forwarding problem from the previous day... I can make this post.


Monday I fixed my clothesline.  I last repaired the clothesline the end of May and beginning of June in 2011.  (https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2011/07/clothesline.html)

I didn't realize it at the time but the wooden posts seen below had not been treated.  Even though I had poured concrete around the posts, that did not keep one post from rotting.  I believe water soaked down into the concrete surrounding part of the post.  Last week as I was taking laundry off the clothesline I brushed against one post and discovered the post was only being held upright by the clothesline and also the wire attached to the building.

2011

Old post and railroad tie for new post

Old post being held up.

So I removed the post, dug out the concrete around the rotting post in the ground, and installed a railroad tie as a new post.  Since I have now a railroad tie as a post I didn't put new concrete around the tie to hold it in place.





I hadn't planned on completing the fix on Monday but since I was on a roll I kept going.  But I made a mistake.  I attached the clothesline ropes before I attached the post to the building.  Because the post was now a railroad tie and not a round post I had to modify the attachment wire so that is why I waited.  By the time I modified the wire the clothesline ropes had pulled the tie in a little bit.  I tried using the tractor to push against the tie to hold it upright but the pressure from the tie rolled the tractor back slightly when I took the tractor out of gear.  I eventually got the attachment wire kind of snug to hold the tie in place.  Not perfect, but good enough.

No comments: