Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Another attempted cattle break-in

Those cattle don't give up.  Today I found they tried to get to the weed hay from the north side.




I straightened the panels and then got a few more steel fence posts.  There are now three fence posts on each north side panel.

The cattle still have green grass to eat.  But they like to mix up their diet; and also they tend to want what they can't have.  All my cattle are fat.


My uncle Larry had asked why I don't burn the weed hay to solve my problems.  First, open burning season did not start until October 1.  Second, while I irrigated and have green grass, the rest of the county has been dry and until mid-September under fire restrictions.  And it is still dry.  South of Kalispell a burn pile started on Sunday flared back up and got out of control yesterday when the wind started to blow hard.  The next you know there was a 45 acre wildfire.

While I fixed the panels today I did a small test burn of some weed hay outside the panels.  As I suspected, it does more smoldering and smoking than actual burning.


Fire briefly.


So I'm unlikely to set the large pile on fire.

No comments: