Friday, October 26, 2018

Tree stump 14 bonfire, new chair and more

It rained last night and off and on today.  Very wet.  A little surprising, but four of the five tree stump bonfires from yesterday were still smoldering this afternoon.

The cattle spent the day in the middle pasture, either grazing or at the feeder with the hay bale.  I didn't go out to look, but there must be no more weed hay to eat.

I hauled in my pickup a couch Jan bought today.  I met one of the new neighbors who recently moved into the rental house south of me as he helped me carry the couch up the stairs, through doors, around corners and through another door.

"Over Under Sideways Down"

Of course with the new couch old furniture had to go.  I only took one chair and refused to take the other chair.  I don't really have room for the chair, but...  Daisy likes it.



Here are a few photos from when I burnt this tall grass earlier this week.  Since I am not letting the cattle into the hayfield this year I burnt some of the tall grass to get rid of it.



I thought all the tree leaves had fallen earlier this week.  I guess not as the rain brought more down.

Lastly, here are photos from another tree stump bonfire.  From Oct 17.   This rotting stump was in the middle pasture as I have burned all the stumps I want to burn in the south pasture.  This stump is an old stump, which means it became a stump before I moved here, unlike the south pasture stumps which became stumps over the past decade.





I burnt the second (and last) red coat that has long since seen its better days.

The next morning much of the stump still could be seen in the ashes.  But over the next week I kept the fire going each day by adding a small pile of branches on the hot ashes.  Eventually most all the wood in the photo below was burnt.

Below you can see why I wanted this stump gone.  In the photo are (were) five stumps.  Three stumps are close enough together to make it a hassle to drag a harrow around each one in the Spring.  I plan to keep the tall stump for the cattle to scratch against.


Eventually the stump burned up, or at least enough of the stump to no longer be a concern.


No comments: