Monday, October 15, 2018

Calves in hayshed again, and more

A cold morning and a slow warmup.  I am an election judge and had a meeting and equipment testing verification starting at noon.  I rode my bicycle the nine miles to the meeting.  The temperature still in the 30s and I wore bicycle shorts.  A chilly ride!   It was comfortable riding later in the afternoon after the meeting was over.

The cows and Toby didn't get into or damage any corral panels around the weed hay.  They saw me go check the weed hay and came all excited.  I gave them some weed hay to eat.   They were too interested in it, and the pasture grass is short, so as they ate I got the tractor and moved into the middle pasture a large regular hay bale for them to eat, and put a metal feeder around the bale.  As of dark the cattle hadn't noticed the new bale as they were still grazing in the south pasture.  I'm sure they will find it tomorrow.

Since I had the tractor in the pasture I moved some dirt and added more dirt to the gate crossing over the irrigation pipe mainline.  A little more dirt wouldn't hurt and maybe I wouldn't have as much of a hump to go over as I cross the pipe.

When I got the hay bale I discovered the calves got into the hayshed again.  I had put wire over one of the gates so the calves couldn't move the slider board.   The calves then figured out how to move the slider board the opposite way.  *sigh*   I added a small board as a stop so maybe this will stop the calves in the future.   Who says cattle are dumb?!   Three of the four calves I kept as replacement heifers came from smart cows.  I have noticed that usually smart cows have smart calves, and these calves are smart.

Seriously.... again?!

Slider board now moved left by the calves.

Then the calves started to break the other gate to move it open.

So, all of this took up my day and I didn't get to the start of my new major project.

No comments: