Monday, October 22, 2018

Larch color in my pasture, and more

The cattle are still obsessed with the weed hay.  On Saturday. after they finished eating the first hay bale, the went back to work on the weed hay.  They lifted up and bent two corral panels to get to the weed hay.  They worked on the south panels this time and pulled the 6 metal posts out of the ground that were holding the panels.  One post on each panel remained wired to the panels so they then held up the panels.   The cattle lifted the panels high enough that one or more smaller heifers got inside as I found manure inside the corral.

By the time I found the cattle had gotten into the weed hay I already had put a second hay bale out in the middle pasture.  I called and then led the cattle to the hay bale.   Toby then brought up the rear with some weed hay sticking in his teeth. He came last and walked slowly.  So slow that the cows had already came through the gate and were running to the hay bale well before Toby reached the gate.  Toby then turned and walked along the fence calling to the cows.  Seeing how strong he is he could easily go right through the three strand south/middle pasture barb wire fence.  So I walked back to the gate and called for Toby.  He listened and came to me and the gate.   Good.  I don't need another fence repair project.

Sunday I went with Donna to Harve, Montana to visit her daughter and son-in-law and their new 20 acre horse palace.  A long day.  We left at 6 am and got home after 9 pm.  BNSF sure was busy as we saw train after train after train as we drove to Havre and back.

This morning the cattle still had half the hay bale left.  But they grazed around the pasture then went to the weed hay early afternoon for a short while.  Late afternoon five cows went back to the weed hay.  I checked and found they had bent and lifted the south panels again to reach the weed hay.   Really?!!! You have good easily accessible hay and you still try to get to the weed hay?!!!!

I've been trying to get rid of the weed hay but it is a slow process.  Because it is smoky when burning I only burn a small amount each day.  Some day I will get rid of the weed hay.



It was another beautiful day out here.  After weeks of well below normal temperatures everyone has been enjoying this past week of slightly above normal temps.  Even Toby.

Toby




No comments: