Thursday, October 25, 2018

More weed hay and bonfires

This morning this is what remained of the two weed hay bales I had burnt last night.



I poked at the bales and loosened some layers.  By late afternoon most all of the bales were burnt.

 Here are better photos of the bent corral panel.






This is what remains of the weed hay as of this morning.

In the morning the cattle were doing their siesta on the east side of the middle pasture.  Usually they hang around the bale of hay in the feeder.   As I returned from checking on the weed hay they headed out to the weed hay.


Later in the afternoon I found the cattle were still at the weed hay.  No more bent panels as I had left the corral open.



This is all that remained of the weed hay bale.

The cattle were not happy I was loading and taking away much of the weed hay remnants.



I also tossed some tree branches in the pickup.   My plan was to burn the weed hay on a bed of tree branches over five old rotting stumps I had found in the morning.  I'll post those photos another day.



As I piled the hay on the rotting stumps and began the burning the cattle came back to the middle pasture.  Some cattle went to the good hay bale and the other cattle cleaned up the parts of the bale that had fallen off as I carried it across the pasture.   By the time I finished the burning the cattle left and went back to the weed hay.   What's up?!  I could see there was plenty of the good hay in the feeder.  I walked over for a closer look.  I found the hay was from Calvin's field and was the tall swamp grass.  The cattle can and do eat it, but it not their favorite hay.  It appears they prefer what little that remained of the weed hay to Cavin's hay.  I'm glad I hardly have any weed hay left.

No comments: