Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Tree stumps 6 and 7 in 2018

As I mentioned in my previous post, yesterday evening I burnt two rotting tree stumps.  As it started to sprinkle rain lightly after dark I figured the moisture would put an end to the fire's smoldering by morning.  But I checked today - after a rainy night and day - and the stumps were still smoldering.  I have hopes they will continue to smolder and burn all of the stumps.

Tree stump 6

Tree stump 6

Tree stump 6


Tree stump 7

Tree stump 7

Tree stump 7

The cattle came over to watch the fires with me.


Big Red

Speckles watching tree stump 7's fire




The next afternoon when I checked the tree stumps the cattle came over to see what I was doing.



In the previous post I mentioned I didn't bring back to split now all the logs I had cut recently.  I added some of them to this stack of logs to be split.  The tall 'logs' on the left front are from the tree stumps I burnt last night.  The outside 'shell' of the stumps fell apart revealing the rotting stumps underneath.  I think it happened this way because for a few years ants made a home inside the stumps under the 'shells'.  Once the shells fell apart the ants moved.  So, no ants were harmed in the burning of the stumps.



After checking on the smoldering stumps I walked to the river.  Several ducks paddled upstream after I approached the riverbank.



It is a cold and wet day today.  This afternoon I lit a fire in my woodstove for the first time this season.  Before that it was 53 degrees inside the house.  Daisy, after a busy morning where she/he visited the doctor for an ear checkup and distemper and leukemia shots, decided to take her afternoon nap inside the house after the fire started.  Between the time she returned home and when I started the woodstove fire, Daisy was a little skittish, especially when I walked near the pet carrier.

No comments: