Thursday, October 11, 2018

Fixing a gate

Today when I checked the weed hay I seen that the cattle had attempted to get inside but the panels and posts held.  One panel had half of it's bottom rail pushed up to the next rail, but the panel and posts held. Tonight when I was burning a tree stump I could hear a little rattling of the corral panels by the cattle.  Since the cattle can eat some (but not too much!) weed hay, and they seem to like it, I think I will toss a little weed hay outside the panels each day for the cattle to eat.  This should help me get rid of some of the weed hay, and give the cattle a little variety in their diet.

Back when I let the cattle into Calvin's field I left the gate open so the cattle could come back into my north pasture to access the river for water.  After I moved the cattle to my middle and south pasture I went to close the gate to Cavin's field.  I found the cattle had pushed on the gate to open it further past its limits.  The bottom lag bolt was pulled out of the railroad tie.  I found that inside the railroad tie in that area the wood was rotting and soft.  I didn't want the effort to pull out and replace the tie so I cut out that area of the tie and inserted a short two by four piece of wood.  Problem solved.






No comments: