Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Calves to market

It was time to take the calves to the livestock auction for the auction on Thursday.  A shame as I have grown attached to this group.  But the grass is low and it is time.

I have 12 calves, and 8 calves went to auction.  I kept 4 heifers as replacement heifers for Toby next year as he will be a new bull to them.  I kept Beulah's calf, Red's calf, Maria's calf, and cow 90's calf.  I kept cow 90's calf because she was born without a tail.  If I sold her as a heifer I would get docked in price, even though she will do fine as a cow.

Loading the calves into the stock trailer went relatively good.  Donna and I had to do some extra work as one calf kept turning around and then blocking other calves from moving forward.  In the meantime the calves already in the trailer turned around and wanted to come back outside.  At the auction yard the calves didn't want to come out of the trailer.

The trailer was pretty full.  Maybe - if I had to - I could have squeezed in one more calf.  I certainly could feel the weight as I pulled the trailer of calves to Missoula.  I expect the calves to weigh about the same as last year - if not more.

The drive to the auction yard in Missoula went well.  It was a beautiful sunny day, and in Missoula at least it felt warm at near 60 degrees.  Kalispell was about 10 degrees cooler.

Apples as a treat the day before the calves left.

Mama's calf




A pretty full trailer.

Strap is extra protection against the door from coming open.

Mission Mountains on the drive home.


No comments: