Saturday, October 27, 2018

Tree stump 15 bonfire, and more

The cattle realize there is no more weed hay to eat.  They no longer go into the south pasture.  They either graze in the middle pasture or eat the hay in the feeder.  They are not happy with the feeder hay as late this afternoon they held a "strike" and stood at the middle/north pasture gate and mooed at me for a long time.  I used the tractor to go get the beat up panels that had 'protected' the weed hay.  I had to use the west gate I had installed this Summer as the cattle were near the east gate.  Eventually the cattle went back to eat more hay from the feeder.

No more weed hay

Since I had the forks on the tractor to haul the corral panels, first I did a test to see if I could pick up tree branches from a pile of branches no longer needed for a stump burn.

Success!


This is tree stump 12.  Weed hay all burnt.   The red arrow shows a side root that was not burnt.  I used the tractor forks to pry it out of the ground.



This is tree stump 13.  I was able to pull this side root out of the ground with my bare hands.  Hulk... strong.



Last Monday night I burnt tree stump 15.  This is a stump I found after I dug out tree stump 4 in the Spring.  When I used the tractor to push dirt back into the tree stump 5's hole, I also scraped a nearby hump of dirt and found another tree stump.  Later I dug around the stump to find out how large the stump was.  It was large.  And solid.  I only dug down a few inches as I planned on digging the stump out next Spring.

Well... I had a bale of weed hay to burn and I thought I would see what effect it would have on this solid tree stump not dug out of the ground.



The same night I also had put a weed hay bale on stump 12. That is the fire seen in the background.

Two days later - no weed hay bale and still smoldering.

The stump is still smoldering this afternoon - even after yesterday's rain.  The stump is in effect gone.

No comments: