Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Weed hay panel bend, and tree stump bonfires

The cattle were at it again.  Yesterday when they still had their bale of good hay the cattle visited the weed hay and tried to get in.  Today after they finished off their bale of hay they went for the weed hay before I could get a new bale of hay put out for them.  This time they bent a panel around a bale of weed hay.  One can't quite see it in the following photo but the panel against the weed hay bale - not just the corral - is bent at a 90 degree angle.  Yes, the PANEL itself is bent at a 90 degree angle around the bale of hay.  The cattle bent the panels so hard that on one panel the chain holding a pin used to pin the panels together broke.  The chain - which had been welded to the panel - was pulled off the panel!


As you can see I have less weed hay.   Yesterday and today I have switched tactics in getting rid of the weed hay.  The bales are no longer full size.  I have used the tractor to take a few bales and placed them on tree stumps and burnt them.  It worked well last night as the two bales were almost all burnt up by this morning.

I switched to this tactic when I discovered one of the rotting tree stumps I had burnt had plenty of stump left.  All the other rotting stumps I had burnt appeared to have burnt all of the stump.  Not stump 12.  A small part of the stump rose above the ashes, even after I had burnt the stump several times.  When I dug around small part of the stump I found the following.


As this was plenty of stump left to burn I placed a good sized pile of tree branches on the stump for the next burn.  That's when I got the idea to place and also burn a half bale of weed hay.





Most of the stump and the weed hay bale were gone by morning.  This evening I placed more branches on the remaining stump and then another weed hay bale and had another bonfire under a full moon.







No comments: