Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tree Stump 7

Since I had burned with Tammy, and later with my uncles and aunts, the six stumps I had dug earlier this Spring, I thought I was done with tree stumps for the year.

Well... remember the partially dug stump I fell into a few times while burning tree stump number six with my uncles and aunts?   I was in a dilemma.  The hole around the stump wasn't large enough to burn or remove the stump, but it was deep enough that I was concerned one of the cattle would accidentally fall into it.

One afternoon last week I decided to dig the stump out a little more as I had some stuff to burn and I thought I'd dig a little more in case the stump would catch fire.  This stump didn't have too many side roots and I ended up digging it almost out.

Chopped side roots by the stump hole.


I decided to pull the stump out with my pickup instead of trying to burn it.  I wrapped the stump with a heavy chain, put the pickup into 4-wheel drive, and then expected to feel a tug as the pickup pulled the stump out.  No tug.  When I got of the pickup to look I found the stump was almost all out of the hole.  The stump did split into two as I pulled it out.   I had thought the stump may break into its two main root sections and wrapped the chain around each major root.





That night I had an empty hole in which to burn my miscellaneous stuff.



The next day I filled the hole back in with dirt. Now I don't have to worry the cattle may fall into the hole.

No comments: