Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Tree Stump 1 - second night

Here is what remained after the first night of burning the tree stump.  For as long and as hot that we burned the stump you'd think it would be all burnt, but nope.  At the bottom of the photo is where I had dug around an extra root from the stump.


The second fire.  I used my old TV console box to start the fire.  A few years ago I had removed the TV from inside the box.  It is amazing how fast and hot that man-made wood products burn.



Here you can see how hard and dense the stump is.  The stump is hot and burns, but notice that no flames come from the stump itself.



What was left after the second fire.



I took an axe to the stump.  Even after two long and hot fires the inside of the stump was still damp.  That is stumps are so hard to burn.  And this is a stump that has been dead for a minimum of 15 years.



The next photos are of before and after I chopped out the remaining stump.  As you can see from the smoke on the left side, the stump that remained under the ash still smoldered.  I raked some dead grass and tossed it on the ashes to ensure my chopping hadn't stopped the smoldering.

No comments: