Sunday, June 05, 2011

Barn hay feeder

When Tammy was here we rebuilt the hay feeder next to the barn.  The last time I had cattle a few years ago several of the cattle liked to stand in the feeder with their front legs to claim their spot.  With the wood being so old this led to several of the bottom boards getting broken.

Also the side boards in the front were nailed to the inside of the posts.  Over time the cattle pressing against the boards popped a few boards off the posts on one side.

So I completely rebuild the feeder.

Here is the old feeder partway through the dismantlement of it - after I took its sides off.


Tammy helped me with the rebuild.



Here is the rebuilt feeder.  As you can see I placed the front boards outside the post.  This enlarged the feeder by the width of the posts. The cattle seem to be able to reach all the hay in the larger feeder.  In addition to replacing all the boards on the bottom of the feeder I added an extra board in the middle to provide more support if cattle against stand in the feeder.

No comments: