Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cattle pasture, day 3

I spent another afternoon working in the pasture.  It is a good thing I have large trees with good rain shadows as it rained several times while I was out there.  I got another tree stump hole filled in, a smallish sized hole.  Three down, three to go.  It is times like these that I wish I had a tractor with a loader.  I'd be done with the hole filling by now.

The cattle seemed to have settled into a routine.  They were not wandering around the pasture as much and took a number of siesta breaks while I was in the pasture.

They seem to favor the SE tree and the tree near my last tree stump burn.  I had cleanup work there as I had to haul off several wheelbarrow loads of cut tree stump roots.  I also broke into smaller pieces the boards I didn't use in the last tree stump burn.  I then stacked them under the tree.

The cattle were already around and near this tree when I showed up to haul off the tree roots.  Some cattle watched me and other cattle ignored me and chewed their cud.

Boss Lady checked out and chewed on another tree stump I had done some initial digging around.


 Then she came over to "help" me with the tree roots.




When I filled in the tree stump the other day I left a small dirt pile from the nearby tree stump I had done some initial digging around.  Today I discovered the dirt pile had been leveled by the cattle.  *sigh*  This will make it harder to completely fill in the hole after I burn the stump.

The dirt pile used to be on the right side.

Later when I was breaking and stacking the boards the three cattle laying under the next tree hung out for a while before getting up to the join the herd under the SE tree. I think I was making too much noise for them to sleep.  The following photo is the herd in a conga line coming over later to check out what I was doing.



Lastly, a photo of my two brockle-faced heifers.

No comments: