Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Horses in back yard

This morning I let the horses out into my back yard.  Unlike cattle, horses are more leisurely in getting out to taller grass as they didn't rush the gate after I opened it.  They've been in and out of the yard and corral all day.  They are well behaved so I am letting them have access to the yard even during the night.

I did add protection to my two small nut trees in the back yard.  Here is how I protected my walnut tree.  The tree is growing in spite of my goof-ups.  The wire on the fence boards is because some years ago the cattle put their heads through the fence and ate part of the tree.  The wire on top of the fence is because last year the tree grew above the fence and the horses reached over the top of the fence and ate the top part of the tree.  So that is why I put together this mish-mash of wire to protect my tree while the horses are in the back yard.


Here are photos of "Cowboy". She comes up to me to sniff and check me out. She isn't quite ready for me to pet her yet as she moves away when I try to pet her neck.  She is still fascinated by the cattle when the cattle are in the closest part of the pasture to the corral.



Here are photos of "Fancy".  You see from the first photo that she is an old horse.  I believe she is 28 years old.

The second photo shows she has an itch.  Several times today she rubbed against my gate.  She rubbed against the gate last year.  That is why I have it fastened to the barn. Otherwise she rubs the gate so hard that she moves and bends it.

No comments: