Monday, June 27, 2011

Corral gate number 2

When my uncles visited me earlier this June, they helped me replace one of my 12 ft corral gates with a sturdier 16 ft gate.


With their help the gate replacement was done fairly quickly.  The newer gate had bolts attached to it.  Fortunately the bolts were long enough to just pass all the way through a railroad tie that was 9 inches thick.  I borrowed a long wood drill bit from Wyatt and we drilled holes through the railroad tie.

The new gate length was just the length of  old 12 ft gate plus the small walk through gate next to it.  Therefore all I had to do was remove the old gate and then the walk trough gate.  I didn't have to adjust the post on other side of the walk through gate.

I finally removed the walk through gate last week.




We mounted the gate a good height above the ground. However the gate does drag on the ground over halfway into its arc.  I dug the ground down along its arc and created a small ditch so now the gate touches the ground only at the very end of its opening arc.

I think I know why the gate starts well above the ground and ends on the ground.  Even though we measured the railroad tie to ensure we had both bolts mid way on the railroad tie, the tie itself has a little bit of a lean.  Though small, the lean is just enough for a 16 ft gate to touch the ground when it fully open.  You can see the lean in the following photo.



While I worked the horses would come over to check me out.

No comments: