Thursday, September 30, 2021

More beaver action

Due to my recent head surgery I hadn't been over to the river in a few weeks now. I went and checked on the willow trees a few days ago.  The beaver had a field day while I was gone. It went crazy.  It ate willows I thought it couldn't get to.

Look at this willow tree!  Finally I had got this tree to grow.  It was large and tall and beautiful.  Who would have thought the beaver could climb so high and over the wire fence around the tree.  Incredible.



Even on this small willow tree the beaver got up and chewed off part of the tree.



And this is the willow tree I had earlier protected and re-protected.  Instead of digging the river band and going under the fencing on the other side, the beaver dug into the bank and under the wire on this side.  I took this photo after I had added another wire fence on the lower right where he had dug.  That stopped the beaver.

But.. you can see the cut trunk.  Before I had added the extra wire a few days ago the beaver got inside and gnawed 95% of the trunk and the trunk tipped over.  Today I seen the beaver gnawed off the trunk that went past the fence and then took it somewhere unknown.  He couldn't get back inside the fence to finish the earlier gnawing.  How the beaver reached from outside the fence to gnaw the trunk, I have no idea.  How tall can that beaver be?!!!



Donna tells me to let it go, and let the beavers eat the trees.   No... that ain't happening.   I read that beaver trapping season in western Montana starts November 1.  I imagine I could get a permit earlier as the beaver is causing damage; but I will wait until later to put an ad out to find someone who wants to trap this beaver.

No comments: