Saturday, September 11, 2021

Apples, branches, Toby and a wheelbarrow

Back to a mixture of doing things.

I worked at picking apples off the ground for me and several neighbors.  From Ruth's granddaughter's trees I got several buckets of apples.  From Rusty's trees I got four buckets of apples.  I don't feed the apples all at once to the cattle as that many apples may not be good for them.  But I did give the cattle several buckets of apples.


The other day when I parked my baler under the box elder trees by the pole shed, I stepped up on my baler's wheel to look up on top of the baler to see if a tree branch was above or rubbing on top of the baler.  As I stepped up to look at the branch I didn't notice another thick branch and whacked the top of my head scratching the skin.  This hurt and made me very unhappy.  The branch above the baler wasn't touching the baler.  But today I decided to trim a few other branches nearby. I had noticed a few other branches were now right against my toolshed roof.

I loaded the branches in my wheelbarrow and planned to haul them out to the pasture.  Toby decided he wanted to check them out and stopped me from pushing the wheelbarrow.  I quit and let him be.  No sense arguing with a bull.  Toby and the cows like eating box elder tree leaves.




Here is a 1 minute 11 second video of Toby and the branches and the wheelbarrow: https://youtu.be/RPL1q3IlKiE

Later, after the cows and Toby left, I put the branches back into the wheelbarrow and hauled them off.


I decided to check on the willow trees and beaver action.  My latest fence fix seems to have worked,  My previous fence fix... I 'm not sure.  I saw part of the top of that fence was bent down a bit.  Whether the beaver got over, I'm not sure.

Here is another willow tree.  You can see the fence wire around the tree has worked.  Still, the beaver reached up and gnawed off a side branch.



I accidently took another picture in the area.  I like the photo so I kept it.  The photo shows some willow trees the beavers didn't get to, and a tall fence wire I had put up to stop the cattle from reaching over to eat the willow trees.



On the way back to the house I saw Diamond was along the fence mooing.  What's up Diamond?   Oh, your calf got into the middle pasture and you are calling her back and she is not listening to you as the calf wants to check out the other cattle.  I had to go to the middle pasture and try to herd the calf back to the north pasture.  The calf is really leery of me and would run away.  I tried to herd the calf down the fence line to the gate.  But, around and around.  Finally the calf ran to the fence and slipped through the three fence wires and back into the north pasture and her mother.


I put a tarp over my hay bales outside of the hayshed. I also put a few temporary corral panels around the bales. Later I will put a few metal posts in the ground so the cattle won't push the corral panels around in order to reach the hay bales.

It is raining tonight.

No comments: