Thursday, September 02, 2021

Another hay cutting problem

I thought I would be done cutting hay today.  But no, I had another problem.  Right after my tractor started today it quit.  Then I couldn't restart the tractor.  The tractor acted like it wasn't getting fuel.   Earlier I had filled the fuel tank completely full.  I checked and used the tractor's fuel priming pump.  Yes, the tractor had fuel.  I went over and talked to the repairman who fixed my tractor to get ideas.  Perhaps something wasn't completely connected?  He suggested a couple things for me to look at.  I did and they were fine.  The repair shop was completely busy on other projects for the rest of the week and couldn't take time to look at my tractor.  I talked with my neighbor Curtis for other ideas.   None available.

Great.  I'm not going to get my hay cutting done.  I waited a few hours.  Before putting a battery charger on the tractor, as my earlier start attempts was beginning to slow the battery, I tried starting the tractor again.  This time the tractor seemed like it wanted to start, so I kept it up.  And the tractor then started.

Once the tractor started it ran fine.  So I went to cut more hay.  By now it was after 5 pm.  I had three hours before dark and the dew came.  So I cut non-stop. I didn't get everything cut.  If my tractor had started when I first tried to start it, I would have got everything cut.   The last 10 minutes of cutting was slower.  I wanted to get to a corner before quitting and the going was slower and slower.  The dew was the reason.  When I had finished I checked the grass and it was very wet from dew.

What will tomorrow bring?  Will my tractor start?   I'll see tomorrow.

No comments: