Thursday, September 09, 2021

Haynes jailbreak and baler cleaning

This afternoon while I was cleaning my baler a neighbor stopped by to tell me that one of my black cattle was in Wyatt's field, near my fence.  I went to look and found Haynes in Wyatt's field.



The rest of the cattle were in my south pasture.  It was a bit tricky but I was able to open the gate a little way and herd Haynes to and through the gate before the other cattle attempted to go through the gate.

Now how did Haynes escape?  I have not had cattle get out of the south pasture to Wyatt's field ever since I rebuilt that fence back in 2014.  Starting from my south pasture fence I even built/rebuilt the fence that was on Wyatt's property along the river bend.  "Built/rebuilt" is because the fence on Wyatt's property was barely there anymore.  They haven't had cattle longer than I've been here and they let the fence go.

I walked along the south pasture fence.  All good.  I checked the fence I had built back in 2014 on Wyatt's property.    Hmmm... this looks like Haynes may have gotten through the fence at this point.  No where else looked like it was Haynes jailbreak escape point.  I went and got some more wire and nails and added it to this fence section, and a few other fence sections along this fence that looked like they could become a future escape point.
 


Back to cleaning the baler.  Since on Tuesday I had removed most of the hay and stuff from the baler, and Wednesday all I had to do was use the air compressor to blow the rest of the hay debris out of the baler, I didn't think it would take long.  Wrong.  Hay debris was here and there and everywhere from top to bottom.  And sometimes when I would blow the hay debris from one area it would float and some land on an area I had already cleaned.

But it's done.  The baler is very clean.  Tomorrow I will park the baler then move the bales from the hayfield to the hayshed.

No comments: