Sunday, September 05, 2021

More hay baling

 A good day of hay baling.  First I had planned to rake more hay windrows, two rows into one.  But it got very windy in the afternoon and would blow some of the raked hay.  So two rows became one and a half rows at times.  So I quit raking and started to bale.


This time I remembered that before the first bale, since the baler sat for a while since my first hay cut in July, I should make the rollers for the netwrap to move slightly before I started to make my first bale.  Otherwise it seems as if the netwrap stays on the roller and does not wrap around the bale.  It worked.  The first bale was netwrapped correctly.  Otherwise I only had one bale where a small part of the netwrap on one side would catch on the baler when the bale unloaded.

The baling went well and I was able to bale all the rows I had raked, and a small number of rows I hadn't raked.  I baled all the rows I cut on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  As I approached Thursday rows I found the hay underneath the thicker windrows at times were not completely dry.  Since I couldn't bale everything today anyway, I called it quits.  I'll see if the hay is dry enough to bale tomorrow, or if I needed to wait one more day.  Fortunately there is no rain in the forecast this week.

I made 21 hay bales today.

No comments: