Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Beaver work again

In my previous post I had mentioned I was in the north pasture and saw the gate open.  Why I was in the north pasture was that I decide to walk to the river and check on my recent work to protect the willow trees from the beavers.  My work seemed to have worked.  Those willow trees were not eaten anymore.

Then down the way a little bit I noticed something...   I walked over and found the beaver had pushed through my fence protection on another willow tree and had eaten a bunch of it.  Argh!!!!   



The next two photos shows where the beavers had pushed the fencing.  And you can see bare ground where they had also dug to get through the fencing.  Not seen in the photos, I could see the path which the beaver has made through the tall grass when it went back and forth to the river with parts of the willow tree.  I could see some of the willow branches in the water nearby along the bank and in among some other river wood debris.  I wonder if the beaver lives nearby, or if they didn't care about these small branches and let them float away.  I'll have to watch and see if these branches disappear over the next few days.  I'm also going to try to find someone who wants to trap beavers.




The beaver chewed and chewed on the willow tree.



My repair job.  I added a few more posts.  I also added some wire to bind the fence sections together.  Now to see if this keeps the beaver away from this tree.  I also seen some other willow trees where the beaver tried to get through the fencing but couldn't.  Even though the beaver did chew a few small side branches they could just reach.

No comments: