Sunday, September 26, 2021

Fence rebuild between two buildings

Two years to the date that I was going to start this fence rebuild, I finally finished the rebuild on the 25th.  September 24, 2019 I had got the posts out to start the rebuild.  I planned to start work on the 25th.  If you remember, later on the 24th I passed out and fractured my skull.  On the 25th I went to the hospital and spent 12 days there.  So I didn't start the fence rebuild that year.  The old fence was falling apart in spots, so I put up some temporary corral panels to help support the old fence.

I planned to do the rebuild in 2020 but it was delayed.  I had other items to do first; I didn't want to do the rebuild when I had cattle in the NE pasture; I got side-tracked; the weather changed; etc.; etc.  This year, the same was going on and the rebuild wasn't started.  But I recently got the other projects done.  I wanted to put cattle into the NE pasture again this Fall but I waited a little longer.  Since my recent head surgery went well, I started the rebuild earlier this week.  The rebuild is not a big job, and I did a little each day (as I'm supposed to be resting).  On Saturday, the 25th, I finished.  Or mostly finished as today I had a few more staples to nail into the rails.

It took two years, but it is now done.  And it is stronger than the old fence, and looks much better.  I thought I had some photos of the old fence, but I can't find any.

This isn't a photo of the old fence, but is a similar looking fence elsewhere in the yard.



The new fence.  32 feet long.  12 feet fence.  4 foot new gate.  16 feet fence.



Of course I added wire to the rails.  Otherwise the cattle will put their head through the fence and push and potentially break the rails.




Just after I finished the fence Donna called.   Her car quit as she was driving on the highway.  She also called my neighbor Curtis as I wasn't in my house to answer my phone.  Curtis and I were going to go and jump or tow her car.  But Curtis's pickup wouldn't start.  He used his car to jump start his pickup, but then the pickup wouldn't stay running.  He had some strange starting problem.  So I went with my pickup to help Donna.  I couldn't jump start her car as her car wouldn't do anything.  Even when Donna turned the car headlights on, nothing.  So I towed her car to my place.  As I turned into my driveway the tow strap broke in two.  Seriously!  What next?!

By hand I pushed Donna's car off the road and down my long driveway.  Once I was done Donna tried her car's headlights.  They came on.  She then tried to start her car, and it started right up.  Really?!  After I got the car home it now runs?

Donna must have a short in her car.  She was able to drive it home (I followed to make sure the car didn't quit again.)  She will have to take her car in to a mechanic later to check it out.

No comments: