Friday, September 24, 2021

Deer killed

The road outside my driveway is getting dangerous.  Last week, before my surgery, one afternoon I was riding my bicycle back from getting apples from a neighbor.  I was riding with one hand, and using the other hand to make sure the bucket of apples stayed on my bicycle rack.   I saw a car approaching from behind.  The car was a tenth to two-tenths of a mile behind me.  I figured it would catch up to me about the time I had to turn left into my driveway.  In the past I would then ride in the middle of the lane or middle of the road just before I got to my driveway.  The cars would slow down, (usually they drive over the speed limit of 35 mph), and then I can turn into my driveway.   This time as I approached my driveway and started to turn left into the driveway I was surprised to see the car trying to pass me on my left.  What?!!  What an idiot! The road is narrow, only 22 feet across.   There is no room for two cars and one bicycle on the road, much less room for a car to pass when I am in the middle of the road and turning left.  I had to veer back to the right to the middle of the road and he stopped trying to pass.  I then was able to go to the left side of the road and stop.  He passed on my right and I don't know what he was trying to say as he drove by as I chewed him out up-and-down for being such a stupid driver. I was furious at his behavior.   As he drove off I saw his vehicle's license plate was from Washington State.  To my Washington state relatives, you need to keep your idiot drivers to stay in Washington and not come to Montana, or I'm going to get hurt by one of them.

Anyway...  why I mentioned the near death experience with the car, last night another vehicle hit a deer at my driveway entrance. (I didn't see the vehicle's license plates.)  I was riding down my driveway to go get more apples from the neighbor when I heard a loud bang as a SUV drove by my driveway entrance.  The SUV continue to drive away.  In the ditch outside my entrance a doe was trying to get up and couldn't.  I saw the SUV had stopped a couple tenths of a mile down the road.  I didn't want to agitate the doe so I rode after the SUV.  But they took off.  I didn't see how damaged the SUV was.

I got the apples.  I also filled the water trough for my cattle at the neighbor's pasture.  When I got back to my driveway I saw the doe was laying.  Her head was up.  Maybe she was just stunned and still recovering.  I left so as not to agitate her by being close. 

This morning I checked and the doe was dead.  I could see one of her front legs was completely broken.  And she appeared to also have internal damage.  I had to drag her off so she wasn't next to the road.

If we had less cars and people driving on the road it would be very nice.

No comments: