Thursday, June 24, 2021

Tree stump 16 for the year

I didn't remove this tree stump, but I worked on it.

My first effort was way back just before I harrowed the pasture.  North of the stump and fence, in the middle pasture, the stump had a number of side roots right at ground level.  Other years I had to avoid this area so as not to break my harrow teeth.  This year I decided to remove this side roots so I could pull my harrow through here.  I removed enough side roots to be able to get my harrow through this area.

After harrowing the pastures I then turned my attention to removing tree stumps.  You know how long that took.  When I later needed more branches for one of the last tree stump bonfires I took a few wheelbarrow loads from here.  Then I noticed I hadn't completely removed all of the side roots that were north of the stump and fence.  So I removed the rest of these side roots all the way to the stump and fence.

In the meantime I also would spend some time cutting up - using a handsaw - some of the branches into short sections I can fit into my wood stove this Winter.  Even after I was done with tree stump removal I decided I had cut enough of these branches that I may as well spend more time and cut all the rest of them near this tree stump.  Why not?  It isn't like I have anything else I could be doing.

So the branches worth burning in the stove are all cut.  Sometime later this year I will haul the rest of the branches somewhere else out of the way and where I can burn them to get rid of them.  And sometime later I will use my chainsaw and cut the tree trunk down low to become a tree stump.  And some other year I will dig and remove the stump.  Since it is right next to my irrigation mainline a bonfire to remove the stump is out of the question.  Since the stump is right next to my fence no hurry to get rid of the stump as the location shouldn't slow my harrowing down.

The tree broke off and blew over Labor Day weekend back in 2013.  This was when Tammy and I were visiting our relatives out in Washington State.  https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2013/09/fallen-tree.html

Now this is how the tree looked earlier this year.




Now if the cattle don't knock over the pile of cut branches before I can load them into my pickup and haul them close to the house.

No comments: