Saturday, June 12, 2021

Toby the bull jailbreak

This evening Ruth's granddaughter came over to tell me that Toby was outside Ruth's field and was eating grass in the ditch.  I went over.  The granddaughter managed the gate while I herded Toby to the gate.  She had to manage the gate as the rest of the cattle were on the other side of the fence watching Toby.

It didn't take much effort and I got Toby to walk through the gate.  After Toby went through the gate and joined the cows he briefly kicked up his hind legs, then went and checked on a cow.  After a short time he and the cows walked off to the back of the pasture.

I checked the fence along the road.  I saw where it was sagging in spots due to Toby putting his head over/through to eat the grass.  I couldn't tell which of the sagging sections he had somehow got his legs and body through.  He is a big boy so I would have thought I could tell how he got through the fence.

So once again the cattle beat me to the punch.  My plan was (and still is) to herd the cattle out of Ruth's field and back into my south pasture tomorrow (Sunday afternoon).  There is still grass to be eaten in Ruth's field, but I don't want to have it eaten down too low, and want the grass to regrow for another time.

No comments: