Wednesday, June 30, 2021

3600 bicycle miles so far this year

I know I had earlier said I planned to ride my bicycle less this year.  And I have ridden less miles than last year.  But not by a whole lot.  I rode 3930 miles by the end of June last year, and this year I rode 3600 miles exactly.  So I am again above average.  Especially since my average annual mileage total for the year is 3546 miles.

Why again so many miles?  When the arteritis in my right hip is acting up, riding my bicycle makes the pain go away. So then I don't need to take a pain pill.  But mainly I am sleeping more hours each day.  And when I up and around I still feel a little tired.  I have found that if I go for a bicycle ride I wake up.  And then I will mainly be awake and not tired the rest of the day.  I don't drink coffee so that doesn't help me wake up like it apparently does for other people.   One would think that riding 20+ miles would make me tired.  But I have lots more energy after riding 20 miles than when I start riding my bicycle.  It must be a mental reason because it doesn't make sense that putting in such effort invigorates a person.

27 miles today.  Again it was 100 degrees outside.  But I wasn't hot until I stopped riding.  Today I brought a bottle of water along with me.  Later in the bicycle ride the water was hot to drink.

No comments: