Thursday, June 17, 2021

Another jailbreak, mowing and and tree trimming

This afternoon a cow was mooing in the south pasture.  Out of the ordinary so I went out and checked.  I found Little Red's calf in the middle pasture.  Little Red was on the other side of the fence in the south pasture mooing for her calf.  Somehow, somewhere else in the fence line (more than likely the western half of the fence which has not been rebuilt to add more strands of barb wire yet), the calf got through the fence and into the middle pasture and now could not figure out how to get back now that he and Little Red were at the eastern end of the fence.  I opened the gate and he went through it, and then went to his mother and drank from her.  No photos as I forgot to bring my camera along.

By evening I finished mowing the yard.  Usually I wait until the cow manure dries, but last year when I waited, the grass re-grew up high.  So I made do with mowing/hitting a number of large wet cow manure piles.

I plan on cutting the grass in the fruit tree area tomorrow.  Today I trimmed some of the buffalo berry trees.  The tree expands via the root system.  This Spring I burnt the tall grass around the trees.  It appears some of the smaller trees were affected by the fire. Some killed, some set back and just now starting to leaf.  I see new trees popping up out of the ground so I trimmed most of the dead or late trees.

The trees I cut are not big or heavy, but even dead they are tough and don't want to break.  And they are spiky.  Even wearing gloves a couple of times a spike found my hand.  I had to use a tweezer one time to get the broken spike out of my hand.


No comments: