Saturday, June 19, 2021

Moving cattle and mowing the lawn

This afternoon I finished mowing the grass in the fruit tree area.  I had planned on going for a bicycle ride but a mile from home my front tire went flat.  So I switched gears and mowed the grass.

Last year I never got the entire fruit tree area mowed as I ran out of gas and then got onto another project before getting more gas.  That is why this Spring I burnt the grass in part of the fruit tree area.  Earlier I mentioned how the fire knocked back some of the younger buffaloberry trees.  Today I learned the fire had also knocked back my serviceberry tree/bush.  The bush is re-growing from the roots as the blackened wood never completed issuing leaves.  I also think our cold Spring had something to do with the tree/bush not surviving as the tree/bush tried to put out leaves but stopped partway out.  They may have froze.



This afternoon I let the cattle go from the south pasture to the middle pasture.  Time to rotate the cattle to another pasture.   The cows knew something was up when I walked up to the gate.  They came to the gate and ran through it once I opened it.  Toby was back in the pasture as he had stood and watched what was going on.  Once the cows ran through the gate Toby came running so he wouldn't miss out too.

A 26 second video of Toby running.    https://youtu.be/iS_L6peEB2A

Now in the middle pasture.


Once I let the cows into the middle pasture, the three cows in the NE pasture saw what had happened and they came to the corral to get as close as they could to the other cows. They started mooing which then led the cows in the middle pasture to moo back. I am still waiting for Diamond to have her calf, that is why all the cows aren't in the same pasture.

The calves are growing nicely.




Here is a 27 second video of the cows mooing at each other: https://youtu.be/eoF_jevU6hM

No comments: