Sunday, June 13, 2021

Toby's second jailbreak

When Toby learns something, he doesn't forget.  This morning I got a knock on the door at 8 am by the county animal control person.

"Is the bull outside your gate, your bull?"

"Let me get my shoes on and I'll look."  "Yup.  That's my bull."

I opened the gate to my driveway and easily herded Toby inside the yard.  He walked over and greeted across the fence the three cows in the fruit tree area.  

Toby had gotten out of Ruth's field once again.  This time he eventually walked back home and was standing at my gate.  My neighbor Jan later called me in the afternoon and told me she found Toby's muddy footprints in her yard.  "Are you missing a bull?"


I opened the gate to the corral and after a bit he wandered around the house and then over to the corral to drink from the water trough. I shut the corral gate.




Once Toby was in the corral Rascal came outside the house to join me.



I went down to check on the rest of the cattle in Ruth's field.  They were all in her field. I checked the fence.  I couldn't see how Toby got out.  The fence is sagging due to Toby earlier putting his head through to eat grass on the other side.  But Toby is a big boy.  How did he get through the fence?  Is his name now "Houdini"?

I took a photo of one of the fence sections.  There is a fence there.  The photo doesn't catch its image as the fence blends in with the grass.



In the afternoon I checked the fence along my south pasture.  Some staples had come out of the wooden posts.  Other posts needed new wire to hold the barb wire or field fence to the metal posts.  Business as usual over time.

The cows in Ruth's field saw me checking the fence and they all came to the gate and started mooing at me to let me into the south pasture.  I had more fence to check.  When I was done I saw the cattle has moved away from the gate.  But they saw me walk to the gate and got there before I did.

Again more mooing at me.

I let them into the south pasture.  It was easy as they all rushed in.




I then went and got Toby out of the corral and herded him to the south pasture to join the cows.  It wasn't too hard to do; but I did have to take short breaks at time as he wanted to stop on occasion and eat grass.

In the photo below we reached the south/middle pasture fence and I had to herd him over to the gate.  Again it wasn't hard to do as he realized he had to go through the gate to rejoin the cows.


Toby and the cows and calves are all together in a new pasture and they are all happy.  The three cows and Muscles are still in the fruit tree area as Diamond still has not had her calf yet. 

No comments: