Saturday, September 03, 2016

Wooden feeder fixed

Last Winter the cattle abused the large wooden feeder I feed them small bales of hay in.  Then when irrigating I had to move it out of the way of a line of sprinklers.  I used the tractor initially to move the feeder until my efforts were making the feeder worse.   Then when the cattle were in the corral they beat up on the feeder some more.  They finished off one end just so they could walk into and stand inside the feeder.


 Last week I fixed the feeder.



When I cut a board for a new "foot" on one end I inadvertently made the one end of the feeder a touch smaller.  Therefore when I put the boards back in as the "floor" I had to slightly trim the ones on this side.

Today when I looked I found a couple boards humping up.  The rain the past few nights caused the dry boards to swell.  I trimmed a few boards a little narrower so they would again all fit.

I'll see how long the feeder lasts before needing to be repaired again.


No comments: