Thursday, September 29, 2016

Cold, calves, spray and tire

I have come down with a cold.  Last night I had a runny nose and wondered if it was a side effect of mixing so much herbicide yesterday.  This morning I felt better but by late afternoon my ill health became a cold.  As the night goes on I am feeling worse.  I'm going to sleep in late tomorrow.

This morning Donna called at 8 am to tell me she had a scale I could borrow to measure the granular herbicide.  I was awake but still hadn't gotten eight hours of sleep yet.

When Donna brought the scale over I had her help me with the calves as I brought in a new hay bale for them to eat.  First I had to start my tractor.  But first I had to put a charger on my battery so I could start my tractor.

The calves kept swarming around the new bale and I had to ready the feeder for Donna to let it go to drop over the hay bale.  Then I ran around the bale and chased all the calves away so Donna could drop the feeder so no calves were hurt.

Now that I had a scale I mixed two batches of herbicide for my neighbors and sprayed their pasture.  Once I cleaned the sprayer tank, I took a shower, then returned the sprayer to the County.

Then it was off to get my eyes checked.  I have not had an eye exam since I had cataract surgury in 2006.  My eyes are healthy and my vision has not changed much in the past 10 years.

Then I was off to the election department in their new building for a meeting of chief judges to prepare for the November election.  This should be a busy election.  I hope my precinct doesn't run out of ballots like what temporarily happened at the last presidential election.

Home to eat a late lunch.  Then I fell asleep for over an hour as I couldn't stay awake.

Then I repaired my bicycle tire.  Every day this week I have been quickly trying various methods to stop the leak.  Yesterday I used a new patch kit and glue.  The patch held longer this time but by this afternoon the tire was flat again.  So I replaced the inner tube.  I would have done this earlier except the leaky tube had a Presta valve and the replacement tube has a schrader valve.  To use a schrader valve I had to drill the wheel rim's valve stem hole larger.  I was trying to avoid this.

Then I was able to ride 15 miles.

I had hoped to set a railroad tie or two for the new gate I am putting in the fence by the garage. But it gets dark earlier and earlier these days.  Hopefully I feel better tomorrow and get most of this done.  Saturday is a rain day.

No comments: