Friday, September 30, 2016

Day 2 of my cold, fence work, etc

I still have my cold.  I felt lousy all day.

I slept late: yes and no.
I got up at 3 am because Daisy wanted to go outside.
I got up at 5 am to go to the bathroom.
I got up at 6 am because a storm came and the loud thunder and bright lightning woke me up.  I checked if Daisy wanted to come inside.  No Daisy.
I got up at 7 am because it quit raining and I was really thirsty.  Still no Daisy.
I got up at 8 am.  No Daisy.
I got up at 9 am.  No Daisy.
I got up at 9:30 am.  No Daisy.
I got up at 10 am.  Daisy came inside.
I got up at 10:25 am.  Daisy wanted to go back outside.
I got up for good at 10:45 am.
Each time I woke up this morning it was from an active dream.  So each time I was tired.

I continued my day.  Washed clothes, went uptown for an errand and to get groceries.

Throughout the day I rode 15 miles on my bicycle.  I visited three places with apples and pears.  While the amount of fruit dropping is getting to be less and less each day, I still gathered one full bag of fruit which the calves loved.

I worked on adding a gate by my garage.  I got the posts in and the gate hung by dark.  I have some finish work left to do.  I'll take some photos and post in a few days.


Back before I sprayed my hayfield and pasture...

Some years ago when the cattle were in the hayfield they pushed against the fence in the backyard and broke one fence post.  I neither had the time nor the proper replacement fence post so I used a 2by4 board as a band-aid brace.

A few years later the cattle pushed against the fence again and made the post lean again.  I used two more 2by4 boards as band-aid braces.

Last year I used a metal post post as a brace.

Last week I finally fixed the fence post.  My plan (next year?) is to completely re-do the backyard fence but I decided not wait until then to fix this one broken fence post.


I replaced the broken post with a railroad tie.  That should end any future problems.  I kept the rails and did not replace them with salvage boards like I did on the corral fence to the right.  Even though the railroad tie as a post makes the fence look short, I did not add a fifth rail on top to make the fence higher.  This is not the corral, the fence is plenty high, and the extra height is not needed.



The other fence posts are fine, but the photo below shows part of the rest of the fence where someday I plan to replace the posts and gate some day.


No comments: