Thursday, September 01, 2016

Pears

With permission from the owners in the neighborhood I've been getting the apples and pears that fall to the ground.  Now that my hay work is done I got back to picking up the fruit.

Yesterday at one place a man stopped and asked if he could have some apples.  He thought I was the owner.  I referred him to the owner.  She must have told him no as all the apples appeared to be there today.

Today at the property with apple and pear trees a woman thought I was the owner and asked if she could pick some fruit.  I told her I wasn't the owner.  I think she may have left a note for the owner who wasn't home.

As one pear tree had dropped many more pears than I could fit in a plastic grocery bag I came back with my pickup.  I must have filled ten grocery bags with very ripe pears. It was a battle between me and the yellow-jackets for the pears.

The cattle were near the fence by the road so I stopped and dumped all the sacks for pears over the fence.  All the cattle had an opportunity to eat some pears as there were more pears spread out than the big cattle could hog for themselves.

I would have thought the cattle had their fill of fruit but later that evening as I worked on the corral fence first Mama, then a couple calves, then Rose and her calf snuck away from the herd and quietly begged for more apples.  I gave them some apples on the sly in order that the whole herd wouldn't notice and come thundering over.

No comments: