Saturday, September 10, 2016

Pie auction

Tonight Donna's Mennonite Church had a free supper then an auction of homemade pies to raise money for a local organization that shelters homeless kids.  Donna made and brought two pumpkin pies and her sister Jane made and brought two coconut and macaroon pies.  I like coconut and macaroon and planned on buying one of Jane's pies.

The pies sold for much more than I expected.  The cheapest pie sold for, I believe, $45 and the most expensive pie (Cherry) sold for $165 and the second most expensive pie (mincemeat) sold for $160.  I believe the organization made almost $2700 on the pies.

Jane's first pie sold for $75.  I waited for the second pie as they had 33 pies and less than 30 bidders.  The second pie sold for $115.  I stopped bidding at $110.  If you told me before this auction that I would spent more than $100 on a pie I would have said you were crazy.   Guess not.

Donna's first pie sold for $60.  I bought her second pie, having lost out on the coconut and macaroon pies.  I ended paying $80.  I only had $59 on me as I didn't think the pies would sell for over $50. Silly me.  I had to borrow money from Donna and Jane in order to pay for my pie.

Donna makes good pies so it was well worth it.

No comments: