Saturday, September 24, 2016

The jailbreaks continue

I was bicycling back home after an hour plus ride when it seemed as if my front tire was going flat (again.. as I had just fixed a flat tire a few days ago).  Then a neighbor riding his bicycle in the other direction said he thought my bull was out as it was near the road at my driveway.  I was 2 and 1/2 miles from home.

By the time I got home my bicycle tire was now flat.  Buddy was in my front yard.  From the NE pasture he had pressed against the yard fence popping off the top board.  He hopped over the remaining two boards to get into the pasture.

I re-nailed the board to the fence post.  Buddy scratched against the front house bushes then headed to the patio to look for apples.  None where there.  I did get a bag and using apples as bread crumbs led Buddy into the corral.  He is spending the night in there until I can add a heavy board to this part of the fence.  Otherwise he will walk back to this section and pop the board off again.  With all the fence rebuilds I've done recently I will patch this fence to last the short time the cattle are in the NE pasture as I have no interest in rebuilding this section of fence right now.


When I returned home I also found five cows in the fruit tree and garden area.  Beulah, Mama and three other cows. The tomato plant was flat and all but one green tomato was eaten.  The mystery was how the cattle got into the fruit tree and garden area.  The gate and all the fences were ok and too high to jump over.  I went to the neighbor to see if he or she had seen anything.  Nope.

On the way back I stopped and filled a couple plastic bags with fallen apples from the neighbor's yard. I tossed some apples over the fence and to my surprise Beulah was right there pushing the other cows away so she could have all the apples.  Wait a minute!  I looked over and the fruit tree and garden fence and gate were still ok.

I took the bag of apples to the middle of the pasture and dumped them.  I opened the garden gate and the four cattle came out to eat apples.  Then I believe I figured out how the cattle got in (and Beulah out) of the fruit tree and garden area.  The 'gate' is two gates held together by a long bungee cord and a wire around the gates.  The cattle had pushed against the gates and popped the wire off.  As large as the cattle were apparently the bungee stretched but did not break as the cattle pushed through the gate.  I added more wire to hold the gates shut.  Tomorrow will see how successful I was.

Buddy in the yard and four of the cows in the fruit tree and garden area

Former tomato plant

No comments: