Thursday, September 22, 2016

Jailbreak, tree protection, skunk

My neighbor Calvin came over at 9:30 am this morning.  Rose and Panda had broken a fence wire and were in his pasture.  By the time I got over there Rose had come back through the broken fence to my pasture.  Panda was running back and forth along the fence bawling. I opened the gate and she ran back into my pasture.  I patched the fence.

While the cattle still have green grass in the north pasture the cattle are starting to get restless for new adventures.  Some were pushing against the corral panels to reach grass in the NE pasture.  So I got more corral panels and placed them around the hay bales to protect the bales from the cattle.  I then rebuild a cage around a small pine tree into a large wire fence around the tree.  When the cattle were last in the NE pasture this Summer  I didn't notice this small tree had outgrown its protective cage.  The cattle ate a number of the trees needles.  It doesn't appear the cattle killed the tree but set back its growth.

New tree protection

Tomorrow I will let the cattle in the NE pasture.

A skunk was hit and killed on the road overnight near Jan's house.  She asked me to help her remove the skunk.  We got a shovel and I dug a hole in the ditch and buried the skunk.

No comments: