Friday, September 16, 2016

Tractor problem

As part of weaning the calves I place a large hay bale in the corral for them.  The problem this time is that my tractor yesterday wouldn't start.  It was completely dead. No lights on the console when I turned the key.  I took the battery in to a store to be tested.  It was drained.  Only 5 volts(?) was in the battery.

From Donna I borrowed a battery charger with a 50 amp boost charge.  When the charger said the battery was fully charged I tried it in the tractor.  Nothing.

Donna had another 50 amp charger.  I tried that.  After a half hour the needle on the charger hadn't moved. I figured the battery wasn't charging.  This morning I took the battery back to be tested.  11 volts(?) this time.  The store employee said the battery should be good.  Charge it again and try again.

I also checked the battery wire connections to the alternator and other engine parts on the tractor.  No corrosion on any thing.  Nothing was loose.

I checked the fuses.  All were good.

When the battery was charged I tried again.  The tractor started right up.

Why?  I don't know.  That is what is troubling.  This could happen again.

I moved a bale of my second cutting alfalfa into the corral for the calves.  Donna handled the gate.  The calves - who had lots of grass to eat and loose hay I had fed them earlier in the wooden feeder - all swarmed the hay bale.

Around and around the bale Donna and I chased them to get them away from the bale so I could drop the metal feeder around the bale.  Finally I was able to drop the feeder without hitting any calves.

For an hour or so the calves shut up and concentrated on eating the hay.

Tonight all the cattle finally shut up.   Last night they bellowed all night long.  And most of today.  The cattle were getting hoarse.  Finally around sunset they quieted down.  All of the cows' udders are huge.

No comments: