Monday, September 26, 2016

Cattle pasture switchup

In the morning when I was in the front yard Mama and Rose stood at the fruit tree and garden gate wanting in.  Nope, didn't happen.

Early afternoon after returning home from getting herbicide I noticed Buddy sticking out of the barn.  I had been leaving the barn door open a crack to let Daisy go in and out to look for mice.  I had a leather strap clipped to the door so the door couldn't be opened further.  Buddy broke the strap and pushed the door open.  I went into the barn through the other door so I could face Buddy and rap on his forehead to get him to back out.  He didn't want to go out but he did.  I shut the door.  He then pushed against the door trying to get in.  While uptown I had gotten several bags of ripe apples from Donna's sister and I used the bag to get Buddy away from the door before he could break it and then led him out of the corral.

At the same time I noticed Beulah and a number other cows had pushed several corral panels on one side of the hay bales against the hay bales.  The cattle has found the one spot against which I hadn't pounded a metal t-post in the ground.  Even though I had field fence  on the corral panels the cows either ate from the hay bales below the corral panels or above the corral panels.  I pushed the corral panels away from the hay bales and used the apples to lure the cows out into the north pasture.

I then led Buddy and the cows to the middle pasture gate and let them in the middle pasture.  Time for a change and that's what they wanted.

With Buddy out of the corral I opened up all of the corral to the calves.  There is grass and weeds to eat in the north part of the corral where Buddy had been.  With more of the corral to roam maybe this will eliminate or slow down the calves from getting hay bellies.

The broken door strap

The corral panels after I pushed them back out away from the hay bales.

The calves in the north part of the corral

No comments: