Friday, September 02, 2016

Pocket gophers... done?

I needed to post this quick before the status changes once again.    Today maybe this time I finished trapping pocket gophers on the ranch for the year.  Ya, right.   Several times before when I was almost done, a few more pocket gopher mounds would appear.

When I worked on my south pasture fence rebuild I trapped pocket gophers on Wyatt's property and attempted to create a 40 ft barrier to my fence.  He had so many pocket gophers in his alfalfa field they would refill areas in that 40 ft buffer almost as fast as I trapped them.  Other gophers were more adventurous and would continue on to relocate in my pasture.

Between my ranch and my neighbor's properties I have trapped 86 pocket gophers in 2016.  Much more than the typical low 30s count of the past three years.

This photo was taken back when I was trapping gophers in the south pasture while the cattle were in that pasture.  The marking rod was bent by the cattle.  The twine keeps the coyotes from stealing my traps.


No comments: