Saturday, September 17, 2016

Middle and hayfield fence rebuild

The past week I rebuilt the fence between the middle pasture and hayfield.  This past Summer several cattle stressed the fence when they reached through the fence in an attempt to eat the alfalfa in the hayfield.   Somehow the barb wires did not break but a number of fence posts started to lean heavily.  It would have been bad if the cattle got into the hayfield as they could quite possibly get sick from overeating the rich second alfalfa growth.

So I moved up this fence rebuild in the priority list.  I have until next year, or the year after that when it is once again an alfalfa field, but I know if I didn't rebuild the fence now it wouldn't be done until a year or two from now.

And since the cattle currently had access to both the hayfield and middle pasture it didn't matter if the fence was down during the rebuild.

Last year I had rebuilt this fence from the south end up to the gate I replaced last year. This was 15 posts or about 120 ft.  (http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2015/12/two-gates-in-hayfield-fence.html)

This year I rebuilt the fence from this gate all the way to the north end.  I also replaced the gate and the location of that gate which was near the north end.  I replaced a 4 ft gate with a 8 ft gate.  I moved the gate's location a little more south because I found since I added the 4 ft gate I preferred a gate to be where I placed it now for a better access the the northern half of the middle pasture.

I ended up changing an additional 40 fence posts, of about 320 ft.  Most of the old fence posts were rotted wood posts or 5 1/2 ft long metal t-posts.  I replaced the 5 1/2 ft posts with 6 ft posts.  I changed the fence from a loose 4 strands of barb wire to a tight 7 strand barb wire fence.  Lastly I added a roll and a half of field fence to the barb wire fence to eliminate any chance of a cow sticking her head through the fence to reach into the hayfield.

I have a nice looking strong fence here now.

Before
 After

Clyde checking things out


Buddy checking out the new post.

No comments: