Friday, April 29, 2016

Two on the loose

This morning as I was finishing up a phone call with my electrician I saw briefly out the front window two black shapes run past out in the hayfield.  I thought they may be dogs and after I finished my call I went outside.  To my surprise the two black "dogs" were two of my calves.  The lead calf was "Curious George" (the first born calf) and the other calf was a solid dark brown calf.  I'm not sure whose mother he or she is.

The rest of the cattle were in the pasture just west of the corral.  The two calves were trying to get back with the cattle.  But they couldn't find a way through the barb wire fence.  I could not find any break in the fence.  I don't know how they got through the fence in the first place.  In a spot or two the lower wire is a touch high - maybe the calves crawled underneath?

Buddy was laying in the south corral.  I opened the gate to the hayfield.  The calves ran along the fence but were more interested in looking at me in the corral than in finding the gate.  Finally Curious George went through the gate and into the corral.  I had to herd the other calf through the gate as he is not as sharp.

Then I had to herd the calves through the gate into the main corral.  Again Curious George went though the gate.  The other calf turned the other direction and after some herding I got it through the gate.

All this time Buddy just laid there watching the calves run around him and me run around the corral.


Sneaking some of Buddy's hay when he wasn't looking.


Curious George trying to hide and eat hay behind the feeder.

You'd think in the photo below both calves were going through the gate.  No, the brown calf took off to the right after I took the photo while Curious George continued through the gate.


During the commotion with the calves the rest of the cattle chilled out.

Beulah's daughter slept hard right through the commotion.

These cattle have it good and they are getting wasteful.  Look at all the hay on the ground around the feeder.  While they always have spilled some hay, never this much.

No comments: